Saturday, May 8, 2010

All grown up


We found out last week that Konner was accepted into Carver Early Childhood Academy! He will be starting Kindergarten this fall and is absolutely thrilled! We applied back in January and have been waiting all this time to find out if he was accepted, I know it's not been a super long time but for someone who has trouble being patient it felt like forever! This school is a charter public school and they only accept so many students each year, plus the students are chosen through a lottery system so there really wasn't a certain way of knowing if he would get in. So I was very grateful to get the phone call saying he'd been accepted!

Since Konner was a baby we were planing on home schooling our children, Colby and I both were home schooled ourselves and have just always planned on doing the same with our kids. But about a year ago I started really not wanting to, I really felt like the kids, especially Konner, would benefit from actually going to school. So I started looking into Carver a little more and fell in love with this school! They teach piano, spanish and dance on top of all the other regular curriculum. Then once they get into 2nd grade they can choose from other instruments and languages if they are interested. But it took some doing to talk Colby into the idea! :o) I was honest with him and told him I just didn't feel that I would be able to give the kids as good of an education as they would get going to this school. I mean I sure can't teach them spanish, piano or dance, at least not any dancing they would ever want to do in public! :o) So Colby, Konner and I went and visited the school, took a tour and absolutely loved it! Konner got to go into one of the classrooms and play on a computer and with some other kids and he loved all of it. He was so upset when we had to leave, he really wanted to stay the rest of the day!

So now that he's been accepted and he knows for sure that he is going to school this fall i'm having to really face the fact that he is growing up. When he turned 5 a couple of months ago it hit me really hard. I remembered my mom talking about my 5th birthday being so hard on her and I always thought that was weird, I mean 5 years old really isn't that old so it shouldn't be that big of a deal right? I was wrong. It hit me so hard, my little baby boy was all grown up! He was suddenly huge in my eyes and it was very hard to deal with. Now on top of all that he's getting ready to go off to school!

It honestly doesn't feel like it's been that long since he was born, a lot has happened these last 5 years and yet it still feels like he was born yesterday! I remember looking and his tiny little face and thinking "I only have you all to myself for 18 years!" Now that 18 has shrunk into 13 and continues shrinking all the time. However I plan on enjoying every single day of these next 13 years as much as I can! I love you Konner-bear and still can't believe you're old enough to go to school!!

No comments: