Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Pride...Good or bad?

I have a really bad habit that I have to confess. I can NOT take a complement. Ever. It does not matter what it's about, I will find a way to knock it down. If you tell me I look nice, i'll point out what's wrong with how I look. If you tell me my kids are good, i'll talk about what they did wrong the day before. If you say anything about me being a good friend, wife or mom, i'll point out all the times i've failed in these areas. If you tell me the meal I made tastes good, i'll point out what's wrong with it. This one drives my husband crazy! It doesn't matter what meal it is, I will find something wrong with it every time, no matter what.

See the Bible talks about humility and how we as christians need to live humble lives. But I think i've always taken this way to far! I've always had the idea that if I accepted complements, I was taking pride in myself and that was not living in humility. I felt like if I admitted that food I cooked was good, it was prideful. Sounds silly doesn't it? But let me ask you...how many of us live like this?

Women do so many things for their families on a regular basis, and don't get me wrong, I believe in that. But what is wrong with taking pride in who you are and what you do? If you are an amazing housekeeper, take pride in that! If you love your husband with everything you have, take pride in that! If your cooking rivals Paula Dean, take pride in that! There is nothing wrong with being proud of who you are.

I saw this saying several days ago and it's really made me think about this a lot. "Humility isn't thinking less of yourself...it's thinking of yourself less."

Isn't that what it really comes down to?

I don't believe we were ever meant to live with our heads down, scared to death of being prideful. I think I personally need to lift my head up high and take pride in who I am and what I can do. I am a good cook. I love my husband very much and am a very good wife to him. I'm also a good mom to each of my kids. (I have to admit that as I write each of these it's very hard to not add in little "buts" after each one.) :o) But, i'm not gonna do it! I am proud of who I am and what all i've come though. Not only that, but I can't wait to see where all I go and what else i'll do with my life. I'm only 25...i've still got a lot of living to do and i'm determined to live it with my head high.

This post is liked up with Time Warp Wife and Raising Homemakers.

3 comments:

Treasures from a shoebox said...

Accepting praise can be tricky. I don't want to get puffed up; yet I want the Lord to be glorified through these things that I am praised for. One practice I am learning is to deflect the praise. When I am told, "Your children are so well behaved" (or any other compliment about my mothering abilities), I answer, "Thank you. I've been blessed with many wise Titus 2 women." (Which is the TRUTH!). This does take thought and practice. But I am learning! :)

Jamie said...

Thank you for your comment. That's a great way to do it! Anytime things in our life can point people to Christ it's always a good thing.

You're right about it being a tricky thing though. It can be very easy to take it too far, I think that's why I loved that saying so much. I don't feel that there is anything wrong with other's noticing things we do well. It's when we start to think we do those things better than anyone else that I think we get into trouble. I think it's important to remember that it's God who gave us the ability to do all things.

Bill & Glory said...

I feel this way A LOT, but the Lord and my husband and friends are so faithful to remind me of my honored place in our home and church.

Thanks for sharing from you heart!

Glory