Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Stubbornness...The Bond Of Marriages

Have you ever wanted to give up on your marriage? I absolutely have before, and i've almost walked away from it as well. I said in a post some time ago that when Colby and I made it to our first anniversary, i'm pretty sure everyone around us was shocked. Then we made it to our second and third anniversary and they continued to be surprised! You see, my husband and I have been through a LOT in our marriage. You can pretty much name it and we've dealt with it in some shape or form. And through all of those things we had one very important thing that I believe helped to pull us through...stubbornness.

I wish I could sit here and tell you that we had too great a love for each other or some other sweet comment like that, and while we really did love each other, I believe what kept us together was our stubborn nature. Neither of us would give up and walk away. We hurt each other but we never would give up. And looking back now, having come through all the pain, I am so thankful that we were so stubborn!

See I believe that a stubborn nature, the refusal to quit, is a key factor missing in most marriages. The world has the idea that if your marriage doesn't seem to be working you can just walk away and start over. People do make mistakes so maybe you just made a mistake in who you married right? Wrong! Marriage is marriage. Period.

Genesis 2:24 and Mark 10:8 talk about the fact that when two people get married they are no longer two, they become one. You have to get to the point in your marriage where you no longer see yourself as two. If you see yourself as one and then something begins to threaten your relationship, that stubborn refusal to quit becomes a life saver!

I saw this quote from Jon BonJovi that says "As for his secret to staying married: 'My wife tells me that if I ever decide to leave, she is coming with me." That is the attitude we have to have in our marriage. No matter what, don't give up. Hang on to that stubbornness and refuse to give up on your marriage!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

that bon jovi quote is hilarious.
T

Jen's Busy Days said...

I have come to visit from Love Honour and Vacuum. I agree with you about stubborness in marriage. I decided I wouldn't leave when things were tough. That would be giving up too easily and proving others right that we wouldn't last. Instead I decided that if I still felt like leaving when things were "good" or calm then I was truly not wanting to be in this marriage. Funnily the "bad" spots haven't really lasted that long. It is always when you are in the middle of the storm that it feels the worst and like it will never end. Thankfully now after 18 years of marriage I have learnt that I Can survive any storm that comes our way and that the bad weather patterns never stay as long as the good ones.

And anyway marriage is just starting to get fun when your kids laugh at your fights and you can't help smiling as you go through the routine of a regular fight that you know just means you are tired or overwhelmed and you just need to yell. Thank goodness for a hubby who loves me and lets me yell, no matter how silly it is.

Best wishes
Jen in Oz