Friday, February 11, 2011

Day 11

Day 11 (Feb 11) "Love cherishes" Eph. 5:28
Don't let the culture around you determine the worth of your marriage. To compare it with something that can be discarded or replaced is to dishonor god's purpose for it. That would be like amputating a limb. Instead, it should be a picture of love between two imperfect people who choose to love each other regardless.


Day 11 challenge is...What need does your spouse have that you could meet today? Can you run an errand? Give a back rub or foot massage? Is there housework you could help with? Choose a gesture that says, "I cherish you" and do it with a smile.

Since I married my husband I found out something. I discovered that there is no one in the world who loves me like him. I also found out that there is no one in this world that can hurt me like my husband. The same goes for him, there is no one who loves him like I do and there is also no one who can hurt him like I can. I know everything about him. I know what it takes to encourage him and I know what it takes to crush him.

Have you ever been in a fight with your spouse and instead of holding your tongue, you lash out with hateful words? Words meant to tear at the very core of who they are? I have to admit that I have done exactly that before. But you know what I found out when I did that? I found out that I not only hurt my husband, I also hurt myself.

See the reason for this is, we are one. Plain and simple. What hurts him, hurts me. What blesses him, blesses me.

"When you mistreat your mate, you are also mistreating yourself. Think about it, Your lives are now interwoven together. Your spouse cannot experience joy or pain, blessing or cursing, without it also affecting you. So when you attack your mate, it is like attacking your own body. It's time to change your thinking. It's time for you to realize that your spouse is as much a part of you as your hand, your eye, or your heart."

"Whenever a husband looks into the eyes of his wife, he should remember that 'he who loves his wife loves himself'. And a wife should remember that when she loves him she is also giving love and honor to herself. When you look at your mate, you're looking at a part of you. So treat her well. Speak highly of him. Nourish and cherish the love of your life."

When you do the challenge for today, whatever need you choose to meet, remember these words and put them into practice. I also wanted to add my own little advice here. While you're doing the challenge, take some of the time to pray for your spouse. Ask Jesus to show you a new and deeper way to love your spouse. No matter how long you've been married your relationship can always grow and deepen.

No comments: