Friday, February 4, 2011

Day 3 and 4

So sorry I missed posting yesterday! I left the house at 11:00 and didn't get back home until after 6:00. Crazy busy day! So since I missed posting yesterday I decided to just post both days in one. You ready?

Day 3 (Feb 3) "Love is not selfish" Rom. 12:10

One ironic aspect of selfishness is that even generous actions can be selfish if the motive is to gain bragging rights or receive a reward. If you do even a good thing to deceitfully manipulate your husband, you are still being selfish. The bottom line is that you either make decisions out of love for others or love for yourself.


The challenge for day 3 is..."Whatever you put your time, energy, and money into will become more important to you. It's hard to care for something you are not investing in. Along with restraining from negative comments, buy your spouse something that says 'I was thinking of you today.' "

Personal confession time...I did horrible yesterday!! I did buy something for my hubby (his favorite coke and a biti pie) but I did not refrain from negative comments. I had a rough time with the kids after picking my son up from school and buy the time Colby got off work I allowed my self to completely throw all my frustration and exhaustion at him. Just a heads up, it doesn't matter what sweet thing you buy for your spouse when you don't add the "restraining from negative comments" part!

So today, i'm at it again! Even when you fail...yes when...not if...you just have to wake up the next day and start from scratch. Don't let it get you down and make you give up. Just start right where you are and keep going forward.

Now, onto day 4.

Day 4 (Feb 4) "Love is thoughtful" Psalm 139:17-18
When was the last time you spent a few minutes thinking about how you could better understand and demonstrate love to your spouse? What immediate need can you meet? What's the next even you could be preparing for? Great marriages come from great thinking.


The challenge for day 4 is..."Contact your spouse sometime during the business of the day. Have no agenda other than asking how he or she is doing and if there is anything you could to for them."

This challenge for me personally isn't a huge challenge. My husband and I both call each other off and on throughout most days while he is at work. But if this is not something you normally do with your spouse, be prepared for a little curiosity from them when you call. Anything out of the ordinary can cause suspicion sometimes so remember, keep yourself kind and refrain from those negative comments!

Since this particular challenge isn't a difficult one for me, i'm focusing on my comments today. I'm determined to be positive towards my husband and greet him with joy at the end of the day!

So now, I need some comments! Anyone else joining in these challenges with me? If so, how are y'all doing on them?! How is your spouse taking it? Have they noticed anything different since you started this?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I've been trying to follow along. I don't do so well with the negative comments, either. I think that I will continue to work on that next week, too. We also text back and forth throughout the day.

Keep up the good work! I'm enjoying your posts!

Jamie said...

This is probably the number one problem I have. It just seems to be so easy to take out the frustrations of my day on him once he gets home. Huge character flaw of mine!!! But being aware of it and making a conscious effort to change it will get the job done...with a lot of help from Jesus! :o)

So glad you're following along! Keep letting me know how your doing each day too. I love knowing where everyones at on their journey!